We all love the combination of warm weather and clear blue water, but if you agree that the typical beach incentive trip is becoming redundant, we found a destination that offers more than sunbathing and snorkeling.
It's no secret that the most popular incentive travel destinations have one common denominator: sunshine. And we totally understand that your mind immediately flips to white sand and before you know it you’re planning your next recognition trip on an island in the Caribbean, or a beachfront resort in Hawaii… again.
The challenge is finding a destination that can offer the basics along with new and exciting experiences, which is why we're currently obsessing over Mayakoba in the Riviera Maya, Mexico.
Mayakoba is a dream incentive destination, starting with the unique flora and fauna of the location itself - exotic Mangroves, water lagoons, and yes, beaches, all combine to offer an experience of a floating oasis. Mayakoba operates like a private resort enclave and luxury is evident everywhere. Guests are peacefully transported in boats throughout the individual resorts. The tranquility of these experiential cruises, part necessity due to the unique watery landscape, beckons guests to contemplate a vision of beauty and harmony, relaxation and escapism.
Though at times Mayakoba will feel a world apart, in actuality its location is conveniently accessible to the best of what this part of Mexico has to offer. Only a 30 minute drive from Cancun International airport, Mayakoba is never out of reach of the excitement of one of the world’s preeminent nightlife destinations. Cultural experiences both rare and profound are within arm’s reach – the ruins of the Mayan civilization surround and offer endless exploration. Playa del Carmen, in all of its charm, lies just to the south.
Of the 3 different hotels in the complex, each sits with their own weight and balance in nature, offering a unique perspective for each individual traveler.
The AAA 5 Diamond Rosewood Mayakoba offers a contemporary Mexican feel and an innovative, all-suite design. Rosewood is an oasis of luxury, offering 130 suites with private plunge pools, rooftop sundecks, garden showers, individual docks and the finest modern design and details. Among the numerous awards: Condé Nast Traveler’s #1 - Mexico Hotel and Resort and #1 – Worlds Best Beach Hotels.
The Banyan Tree Mayakoba traces Asian inspired lines to give attendees a feeling of Southeast Asia albeit a much shorter flight. Guest accommodations are a flood of natural light. The resort features 117 elegantly designed private and tranquil villas, each immersed in nature and featuring expansive living areas, plush furnishings and private pools.
Also AAA 5 Diamond, the Fairmont Mayakoba offers understated but elegant luxury, weaving in the local landscape in unexpected ways. The anchor of the Mayakoba complex, the Fairmont hotel has 401 guest rooms, most in free-standing casitas, four major pool areas, a world-class 20-treatment room Willow Stream Spa, tennis courts, several restaurants including two with a 4-Diamond rating, wonderful outdoor function areas and a 30,000 sq. ft. Convention Center.
Still need convincing? Here are our top ten reasons to consider Mayakoba for your next incentive:
1. Luxurious Variety – Three unique, world-class luxury hotel options, inspired by the destination and imbued with a sense of place, offer accommodations for even the most discerning traveler.
2. Accessibility - 30 minutes south of Cancun International Airport (CUN), the 2nd busiest airport in Mexico. A record 17 million passengers passed through Cancun Int'l in 2014!
3. Arrival Experience – Check in and skip the elevator ride. Instead, board a private boat that navigates the water canals until it reaches your own private dock.
4. Dining - More than 10 restaurants, bars and lounges featuring world class cuisine, celebrity chefs and AAA 5 Diamond service.
5. Spa – The ancient Mayans harnessed natural elements of their surroundings to achieve overall well-being and balance. The Spa experiences in Mayakoba tap into this ancient tradition not just to pamper, but inspire wellness and foster your spiritual renewal.
6. Nature – The unspoiled beauty of the natural waterways, canals and Mangroves of Mayakoba will delight your senses and awaken your inner nature lover.
7. Mayakoba Village – Modeled after the historic plazas of Mexico “El Pueblito” opening in 2015 and adding a residential and communal experience to the resort complex, features a cozy park with a traditional kiosk in the center of the esplanade for entertainment, as well as shops and restaurants to create a traditional plaza.
8. Golf - Greg Norman Golf Course – The only golf course in Mexico to host a PGA tour event, located onsite in the Mayakoba complex.
9. Cultural Activities – Explore the incredible ruins of Mayan Civilization. Chichen Itza, the ancient capital of the Mayan Empire, is a must-see. The ruins of Tulum will spark your imagination. Bring your camera!
10. Adventure – Dive into a crystal clear natural cenote. Snorkel along the 2nd largest reef in the world. Swim side by side with ancient sea turtles. Visit the world-class adventure and eco-parks of Xcaret and Xel Hà. Zipline through the jungle canopy. All within an hour of the resort complex!
Inspired? Tell us in the comments section below!