Here's what you need to know about the new passport design
Right now is a major time to get ahead of renewing your passport (more on that here). If you're one of the 17 million Americans reapplying in 2017, we've get the scoop on its new look.
1. Extra pages will be a thing of the past- but frequent international travelers can request a thicker passport option.
2. An embedded data chip will protect your identity should you misplace your passport.
3. A polycarbonate coating keeps your passport from getting wet and bending.
4. Changes in appearance to increase security will include raised ink, color change features, watermarks and passport numbers laser cut into the pages.
5. And lastly, while they're at it, the artwork is getting an upgrade too.
The redesign initiative started several years ago and will be available this July. Need somewhere to keep your fancy new passport? Try these passport covers.